Wednesday, July 28, 2010

LIFE

With all of life's new changes I find myself thinking on a deeper level lately. Korbin is 2.5 weeks old and he's already changing. Being a Dad is a special thing and something I don't take lightly. Alyssa and I have talked many times about kids and the way we view them. Alyssa tends to think about the now, and is concerned with keeping Korbin happy and healthy in the present. I can't help but think about the future. What will adult Korbin be like? How will our parenting effect the way he grows up and what he will become? Is he going to love sports as much as I'd love him to love sports? I guess at the end of the day he's going to be his own man! He'll get out of life what he puts into it... and hopefully we can push him just enough that he can succeed.
With the addition of new babies into the family I've also thought to myself... "well, in with the new and out with the old at some point!" Seems kinda harsh I know.
I have been lucky to never have a close friend or close family member die. Death in the family is inevitable. I have some older grandparents that are... well... older. My Dad has had some serious health scares in the past, and may have some more issues in the near future. I'm not sure I'm prepared to deal with that.
Korbin being born is such a happy thing, but a death in the family would be a quick reminder that life is short. One day you're in grade school, next thing you know your onto college. Then you've got children of your own and before you know it your children have children!
See this is what my brain does. One thing leads to another and before you know it I'm an 80 year old man wearing depends and I've got 15 grandkids running around me! I guess I need to take a page out of Alyssa's book and focus on the here and now so I can keep my sanity.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

That is a nice post sweetie! It is okay that you look toward the future, it is kind of fun to picture what Korbin will be like in 10 plus years. But it is fun to see him change each day. You are the best Daddy and Korbin loves you very very much! (he told me so!)

Rachel said...

It does go fast. I always think about how a person's childhood strongly influences the rest of their life and scary enough, I am totally in charge of forming that childhood for my own kids. What I do or don't do will be the childhood memories they base their life from. Sometimes it feels like a lot of pressure. I guess we have to just enjoy it all, and like Grandma Doris says all the time, just enjoy your kids at every age and stage of their life.

Thanks for coming to our blog! We hope you enjoy reading about our life and please leave a comment so we know you stopped by!!